This one is dark. Dark as night, but sweet as a night can be. They are a special request, and I hope the lady will enjoy them. So, I was looking for a dark chocolate, no flour recipe and this is what I discovered, on Divine Baking.
- 500g fine dark chocolate (I used 85% cocoa solids, Heidi)
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g cocoa
- 550g powdered sugar (+ more for coating)
- Melt the chocolate over boiling water (stirring) or in the microwave (30 seconds intervals, then stirring), then set aside to cool
- Combine 150g powdered sugar with the cocoa, cornstarch and salt and set aside
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
- Incorporate the rest of the sugar (400g), using the mixer first, then a spatula as the batter becomes stiffer
- Incorporate the cocoa mixture, using a spatula and making sure the batter is as homogenous as possible
- Add the luke warm melted chocolate and incorporate. You will notice that, as the chocolate gets colder, the batter gets stiffer, which is good for better handling
- Form balls of batter and cover abundantly with powdered sugar
- Bake in a preheated oven, over low to medium heat, until the tops are cracked and the cookies look puffy (6-7 minutes)
- Take out of the oven and set aside to cool, they are rather fragile when warm
If there ever was a cookie perfect for a cup of milk, this must be it. Excuse while I indulge myself with some.
Have a lovely Sunday!